Just to be clear, we all know Athletics is the best event in the Summer Olympics. And there are some insane stories to watch this year. Here are five athletes/race I am looking forward to:
- Allyson Felix competing in her 4th Olympics, trying to defend her 4×4 gold medal from 2012. Plus she is making her Olympic debut in the open 400m. She’s always been one of my favorites.
- You also have Usain Bolt trying to become the first sprinter to win the 100m three times, and the 200m three times. Shelley-Ann Fraser-Price is trying to do it in the 100m as well (which was what Cat Ariail’s blog post on Monday was about). I hope one of them does it, but the nationalist in me wants Justin Gatlin to rain on Bolt’s parade.
- I’m really interested in seeing Kirani James try to defend his 400m gold from 2012. He was only 19 back then, and became the first non-American (he’s from Grenada) to run under 44 sec. Will he approach Michael Johnson’s WR? I’m excited to watch.
- The 10,000m is one of my favorite races for obvious reasons. Can Mo Farrah repeat? How will Galen Rupp fair for the US? My guess is neither will win it, but I’m eager to watch.
- Two-sport stud (he is a WR for the Oregon FB team), Devon Allen is competing in the 110m hurdles. I’m rooting hard for him to medal.
What athletes, performances, or races are you eager for? Let me know in the comments!