Department of History
672 Oval Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
PhD in History, August 2017
Dissertation: “From Dust Bowl to Dynasty: Bud Wilkinson’s Oklahoma” (Advisor: Dr. Randy Roberts).
Areas of Study: U.S. Social, Cultural, Political History since 1877; Sports and Popular Culture; Digital History/Humanities; Public History
University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada
MA in History, August 2011
Thesis: “Indianness and Expectation: Jim Thorpe and Billy Mills as Iconic Native American Athletes “(Advisor: Dr. Richard O. Davies).
Areas of Study: Recent U.S. History; Comparative Race and Ethnicity; Public History
Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas
Master of Liberal Arts, December 2009
Concentration in History
Capstone: “A History of Mystery: The Emergence of Ghost Stories at Baker University, 1981-2009.” (Advisor: Dr. Anne Daugherty)
Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas
BA in History, Cum Laude, May 2008
Articles and Chapters:
- “The Power of Blogging: Rethinking Scholarship and Reshaping Boundaries at Sport in American History,“Journal of Sport History, vol. 44, no. 2 (Summer 2017) p. 239-256.
- “Amateur Boxing and Assimilation at the Stewart Indian School, Carson City, Nevada, 1935-1948,” in The Native Americans Identity in Sports: Creating and Preserving a Culture, Ed. Frank Salamone, (Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2013).
- “Billy Mills: Olympic Champion, Lakota Warrior,” in The Native Americans Identity in Sports: Creating and Preserving a Culture, Ed. Frank Salamone, (Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2013).
- Review of: David K. Wiggins and Ryan A. Swanson, eds., Separate Spaces: African American Sport behind the Walls of Segregation, (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2016), Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, (submitted)
- Review of: Gregory J. Kaliss, Men’s College Athletics and the Politics of Racial Equality: Five Pioneer Stories of Black Manliness, White Citizenship and American Democracy, (Philadelphia: Temple University Press 2012), for Sport in History, forthcoming.
- Review of: Jeffery Montez De Oca, Discipline and Indulgence: College Football, Media, and the American Way of Life during the Cold War, (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2013), in Journal of American Culture, vol. 38, no. 3 (September 2015), p. 286-287.
- Review of: Robert Pruter, The Rise of American High School Sports and the Search for Control, 1880-1930, (Syracuse University Press, 2013), in Journal of American Culture, vol. 38, no. 3 (September 2015), p. 322-323.
- “Bud Wilkinson” in American National Biography Online, Ed. Susan Ware, (Oxford University Press, April 2015).
- “Hal Connolly,” in American National Biography Online, Ed. Susan Ware, (Oxford University Press, April 2014).
- “Arthur Ashe,” in Oxford Encyclopedia of American Cultural and Intellectual History, Eds. Joan Shelley Rubin and Scott Casper, (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- “Soccer,” in Oxford Encyclopedia of American Cultural and Intellectual History, Eds. Joan Shelley Rubin and Scott Casper, (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- “State Campaigns,” with R. Bruce Anderson (Florida Southern College), in Encyclopedia of U.S. Campaigns, Elections, and Electoral Behavior, Ed. Kenneth F. Warren, (Sage Publications, 2008).
- Instructor’s Manual for: Richard O. Davies, Sports in American Life Second Edition, (Wiley-Blackwell, 2012).
Public History Experience:
Archives of Baker University and the Kansas Area of the United Methodist Church, (Baldwin City, KS) Interim Archivist, September 2008 – April 2009
- Acquired, organized, and cataloged new collections
- Digitalized and identified historic photographs
- Offered tours and lecturers to classes and visiting organizations
- Provided research and consulting assistance to students, faculty, staff, and other patrons
- Managed two student workers
Archives Intern, May 2007 – August 2008
- Assisted Head Archivist with preparations and events while hosting Kansas Humanities Council’s “Famous Kansans Chautauqua”
- Provided support for Story Corps oral history project on campus
- Researched and located materials for Baker University’s Sesquicentennial Celebration
- Organized, cataloged and rehoused the university sports and Christian Advocate collections
- Cataloged United Methodist Discipline collection
- Assisted patrons from the Kansas East United Methodist Conference
- Provided research assistance to students, faculty, staff, and other patrons
Digital History Experience:
Guest Contributor, Society for U.S. Intellectual History Group Blog, http://s-usih.org/blog, January 2017
Curator, Putting Oklahoma Football on the Map: An Atlas of University of Oklahoma Football from 1947-1963, Mapping Project, Under Development
- A companion mapping component to my dissertation that geocodes the University of Oklahoma football team’s rosters and schedules from 1947-1963, representing changes in the teams geographic reach and recruiting.
- Potentially part of a larger project exploring the geographic footprint of college football teams, conferences, etc. The project will rely on geocoding data from game programs or media guides to show changes in scheduling, recruiting, conference membership, and so on.
Founding Editor and Contributor, Sport in American History, Group Blog, May 2014- present, http://ussporthistory.com/
- Founded an interdisciplinary blog on sports history and studies that receives 1,500+ views per week. The blog received 56,000 views in 2015.
- Regularly contributed new articles and book reviews.
- Recruited and coordinated over sixty regular, recurring, and guest contributors that range from graduate students to full professors.
- Designed and maintained a blog website that publishes 3-4 post per week.
- Provided editorial and technical support to contributors.
- Managed and updated social media accounts to publicize blog.
- Helped develop partnerships with 10 trade and university presses for book reviews.
- Selected and oversaw a Co-Editor, Book Review Editor, and Social Media Editor.
Curator, Baker University Track and Field: History and Tradition, Digital History Exhibit, March 2013-present, http://bakertrack.wordpress.com/
Curator, The Surgeon Notebook, Digital History Exhibit and Mapping Project, November 2007-May 2008. Rebuilt and hosted on personal website, August 2012-present, https://admcgregor3.wordpress.com/dh-projects/the-spurgeon-note-book/
Scholarly Papers and Presentations:
- Paper, “Pigskin and Pork: Reshaping Oklahoma in the Post War Era,” Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History (Fullerton, CA), May 2017.
- Facilitator/Organizer, “Sports on Campus: Sporting Traditions as Public History and Memory,” Working Group, National Council on Public History, (Indianapolis, IN), April 2017.
- Invited Lecture, “Doing Digital Sport History,” Ohio Northern University Digital History Day, (Ada, OH), March 2017.
- Paper, “New Aged Democratic Scholarship, or an Exclusive Re-inscribing Structure?: An Examination of Academic Sport Studies Blogging,” 30th Biannual Symposium on African American Culture & Philosophy, Purdue University, December 2016.
- Paper, “Piecing the Story Together: Digital Sport History Exhibits in Collaboration and Pedagogy,” (Panel Organizer: Teaching Sport History in the Digital Era), Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History (Atlanta, GA), May 2016.
- Paper, “The Transformative Power of Blogging: Rethinking Scholarship and Reshaping Boundaries at Sport in American History,” Doing Sport History in the Digital Present Workshop, Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA), May 2016.
- Paper, “It shows we’re growing up.”: Prentice Gautt and the Integration of Oklahoma,” Talkin’ & Testifyin’ Works-in-Progress Series, African American Studies and Research Center, Purdue University, April 2016.
- Discussant, “Public History and the Potential of Sports History Museums,” Working Group, National Council on Public History, (Baltimore, MD), March 2016.
- Paper, “Beyond Football: The Political Career of Bud Wilkinson,” Annual Conference of the Midwest Popular Culture Association / American Culture Association (Indianapolis, IN), October 2014.
- Paper, “Football’s New Deal: College Football During the Great Depression,” National Conference of the Popular Culture Association /American Culture Association (Chicago, IL), April 2014.
- Paper, “You Can’t Just Blame It on the Moms: Intercollegiate Boxing at Purdue.” Annual Conference of the Midwest Popular Culture Association / American Culture Association (St. Louis, MO), October 2013.
- Presentation, “Putting Yourself Out There Digitally: Using Social Media for your Academic Studies,” Digital Sandbox Conference, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (Indianapolis, IN), August 2013.
- Paper, “A History of Mystery: The Emergence of Ghosts Stories at Baker University 1981-2009,” Bridging Ages Conference (Las Cruces, NM), April 2013.
- Paper, “1920s Football Coaches, Reluctance, and the Rise of Modern America,” Midwest Popular Culture Association Conference / American Culture Association (Columbus, OH), October 2012.
- Paper, “Avoiding the Hollywood Indian: Billy Mills and the Creation of Running Brave,” Film & History Conference (Milwaukee, WI), September 2012.
- Invited Lecture, “‘Playing Nice’ No Longer: Women and Sports since 1960,” University of Nevada Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (Reno, NV), February 2011.
- Student Competition, “Integrating Archival Data with Mapping,” University of Kansas Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Day Competition (Lawrence, Kansas), November 2007.
Purdue University, Department of History, Limited-Term Lecturer, Fall 2017 – present
- HIST 152 “United States since 1877” (online)
Purdue University, African American Studies and Research Center, Graduate Lecturer, 2015 – 2017
- AAS 371 “The Black Athlete”
- Taught on-ground, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017
- Taught online, Summer 2016, Summer 2017
Purdue University, Department of History, Graduate Instructor, Fall 2014
- HIST 152 “United States since 1877” (on-ground)
Purdue University, Department of History, Teaching Assistant, 2011 – 2015, Summer 2017
- HIST 151 “American History to 1877” with Dr. Michael A. Morrison, Spring 2014
- HIST 152 “United States since 1877” with Dr. Randy Roberts, Spring 2013, Summer 2017
- HIST 302 “Race and Boxing” with Dr. Randy Roberts, Spring 2013
- HIST 302 “Sports in America” with Dr. Randy Roberts, Spring 2015
- HIST 351 “The Second World War” with Dr. Randy Roberts, Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Summer, 2013, Summer 2015, Summer 2017
- HIST 371 “Society, Culture, and Rock and Roll” with Dr. Michael A. Morrison, Fall 2013
University of Nevada, Department of History Teaching Assistant, 2010 – 2011
- HIST 212 “History of East Asia II” with Dr. Hugh Shapiro, Spring 2011
- HIST 409 “History of Sports in America” with Dr. Richard O. Davies, Fall 2010
- HIST 416-B “Recent U.S. History” with Dr. Richard O. Davies, Fall 2010
Baker University, First Year Experience Program, Student Instructor, 2007
- FY 150 “First Year Seminar” co-taught with Rev. Dr. Ira De Spain.
Honors and Awards:
- Roberta J. Park Award (for graduate student travel), North American Society for Sport History, May 2016, May 2017.
- Purdue University, College of Liberal Arts, PROMISE (Promoting Research Opportunities to Maximize Innovation and Scholarly Excellence) Award, Spring 2016, Spring 2017
- Purdue University, Graduate School Summer Research Grant, 2014
- Purdue University, Department of History
- Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship Nominee, 2015, 2016
- Harold Woodman Graduate Research Award, 2014
- Cardinal Key National Honor Society, Chapter 78A, Initiated 2007
- Pi Gamma Mu International Social Science Honor Society, Kansas Eta Chapter, Initiated 2006
- Baker University,
- Dean’s List, 2005-2008;
- Presidential Academic Scholarship, 2004-2008;
- Yeoman Alumni Legacy Award, 2004-2008,
- Cross Country and Track and Field Team Captain, 2006-2008;
- Cross Country Team MVP, 2005, 2007;
- Cross Country Team Wildcat Character Award, 2006.
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, Daktronics Scholar-Athlete, Spring 2007, Fall 2007, Spring 2008
- Heart of American Athletic Conference, All-Conference 10,000m, 2006
Professional and Community Service:
- Advanced Placement U.S. History Exam Reader, Educational Testing Services, 2015-present
- Purdue University, Graduate School, Social Media Ambassador, 2014-present
- Purdue University, Department of Athletics, Track and Field Official, 2013
- Purdue University, History Graduate Student Association, Representative, 2012-2013, 2016-2017
- Co-Chair and Organizer, “Crooked Lines” Graduate Student Conference, March 2013
- University of Nevada, Department of History, Graduate Student Representative, 2010 – 2011
- Graduate Student Liaison for U.S. and the World Faculty Search
- Graduate Student Liaison for Medieval History Faculty Search
- University of Nevada, History Graduate Student Association, 2010-2011
- Established a new graduate student writing workshop and professional development organization.
- Baker University Chapter of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Champions of Character
- Council Member, 2006-2008,
- Council President, 2007-2008
- Baker University, Department of Athletics, Cross Country and Track and Field Coach Search Committee Member, 2006-2007
- Baker University, Student Ambassador (University-Church relations), 2006 – 2008
- Blue Valley West High School, Cross Country Alumni Association Coordinator, 2004 – present
- Writer and editor of annual alumni newsletter
Guest/interview, “Air Cascadia,” KBOO Community Radio, 90.3 FM Portland, OR, 30 May 2017.
Guest, “Outside the Lines” on ESPN 2, TV Panel Discussion, 3 August 2015.
Contributor: “The Greatest Stories Ever Told: Billy Mills,” TSN 1260 Edmonton, Radio Segment, February 2014.
USA Track and Field Certified Level 1 Coach, June 2009.
USA Track and Field Certified Apprentice Official, December 2012.
Procter R. Hug High School (Reno, NV), Assistant Track and Field Coach, March 2010 – May 2011
- Mentored student-athletes at a diverse, low-income school where 89% of students qualified for the free lunch program.
- Oversaw daily practice and weekend competition of shot put and discus athletes.
- Coached 4 athletes to the Northern Nevada Zone Finals.
- Coordinated and oversaw the throwing events at the 2010 Western States Police and Fire Games.
Baker University (Baldwin City, KS), Graduate Assistant Cross Country and Track and Field Coach, 2008 – 2009
- Oversaw daily practice and weekend competition of cross country and distance athletes.
- Organized travel, accommodations, and meals for a team of 60 student-athletes.
- Directed and oversaw study hall program.
- Updated and kept team records.
- Checked out, inventoried, and organized team gear and apparel.
- Organized and planned inaugural Alumni Run event.
- Organized and planned team awards banquet
- Served as “Clerk of the Course” and assisted with timing for 4 track and field and cross country meets.
- Organization of American Historians
- North American Society of Sport History
- National Council on Public History
- American Studies Association
- USA Track and Field
- United States History, 1877 to present
- Public History and Historical Memory
- Digital Humanities/History
- Sport History
- Popular Culture
- Race and Ethnicity
- Native American History