In my teaching, like in my research, I strive to use familiar characters to tell unfamiliar stories. My goal is to help students connect history with their interests and experiences. This varies from emphasizing local history and campus-based events to discussing popular culture and sports icons. By making history relevant and personal, students become curious participants in conversations with and about the past.
Below are sample syllabi and teaching documents for courses I’ve taught, helped teach, and developed as a part of my coursework. Each syllabus remains a work in progress as I continually reflect on and adapt my teaching methods.
- The Black Athlete, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Online Summer 2016, Fall 2016
- U.S. History since 1877, Fall 2014
- History of Sports in America — Sample Syllabus
- Introduction to Digital Humanities — Sample Syllabus
- Doing Digital History — Sample Syllabus